Latest News:

A government lawyer acknowledged Monday that the Trump administration will miss its first court-imposed deadline to reunite about 100 immigrant children under age 5 with their parents. Department of Justice attorney Sarah Fabian said during a court hearing that federal authorities reunited two families and expect to reunite an additional 59 by Tuesday’s deadline. She said the other cases are more complicated, including parents who have been deported or are in prison facing criminal charges, and would require more time to complete reunions. U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw, who ordered the administration to reunite families separated as part of President Donald Trump’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy, said he will hold another hearing Tuesday morning to get an update on the remaining cases. He said he was encouraged to see “real progress” in the complicated reunification process after a busy weekend when officials from multiple federal agencies tried to sync up parents and children who are spread across the country. STORY FROM LENDINGTREE Crush your mortgage interest with a 15 yr fixed “Tomorrow is the deadline. I do recognize that there are some groups of parents who are going to fall into a category where it’s impossible to reunite by tomorrow,” he said. “I am very encouraged by the progress. I’m optimistic.” Lee Gelernt, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney who leads a lawsuit against the federal government, sounded more skeptical. When asked by the judge if he believed the government was in full compliance of the court order, Gelernt said there was much more work to be done. “Let me put it this way: I think the government in the last 48 hours has taken significant steps,” he said. “We just don’t know how much effort the government has made to find released parents. I don’t think there’s been full compliance.” U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw, based in San Diego. U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw, based in San Diego. (Photo: U.S. District Court) The difficulty in reuniting the first 100 children shows the challenge that lies ahead as the Trump administration braces for another deadline in two weeks to reunite nearly 3,000 older children – up to age 17 – with their parents. The process is complicated because of all the different situations that emerged over the weekend. The government initially identified 102 children under age 5 who needed to be reunited but removed three children from that list because investigations into their cases revealed that those children came with adults who were not their parents, Fabian said. Twelve parents were found to be in federal and state custody on criminal charges, making a reunification impossible since the government can’t transfer minors to state and local prisons to protect the well-being of the child. Nine parents were deported, and the government established contact with only four of them, Fabian said. Four children had been scheduled to be released from government custody to relatives who weren’t their parents, leading the government to question whether to allow that process to be completed or to redirect the child back to a parent. Gelernt said he understood many of the hurdles but urged the judge to force the government to scrap its time-consuming investigation into every single case and start a 48-hour clock to reunify families that remain separated by Tuesday. Sabraw said he would decide that during Tuesday’s hearing. Fabian said one of the silver linings of the busy weekend is that her office worked closely with its challengers at the ACLU to share information on each child’s case, to ensure that representatives from immigration advocacy groups and volunteer organizations could be present during each reunification. Gelernt said they’re doing that to help the parents, who are often released from custody with no money and nowhere to go. Fabian said that coordination has led to a more formalized process between government agencies and with the immigrants’ lawyers that should make reunifications go more smoothly in the coming weeks. “I think this process over the weekend helped us see what information, and in what form, is the most useful to share,” she said. “I’d like to make that as efficient a process as possible.” -

Monday, July 9, 2018

Trump denies US opposition to WHO breastfeeding resolution -

Monday, July 9, 2018

Mwen se moun nan Panyòl -

Monday, July 9, 2018

ZILE PAM NAN -

Monday, July 9, 2018

Havana plane crash leaves more than 100 dead -

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Shia cleric Moqtada Sadr bloc wins Iraq elections -

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott: ‘We need to do more than just pray for the victims and their families’ -

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Donald Trump says he will meet North Korea’s Kim Jong Un on June 12 in Singapore -

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Trump tells FBI: ‘I have your back 100%’ -

Friday, December 15, 2017

Mueller requests emails from Trump campaign data firm: report -

Friday, December 15, 2017

GOP changes child tax credit in bid to win Rubio’s vote -

Friday, December 15, 2017

Trump Jr. is berated for tweet about ‘Obama’s FCC’ chair, net ‘neutality’ -

Friday, December 15, 2017

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to marry on 19 May 2018 -

Friday, December 15, 2017

Walt Disney buys Murdoch’s Fox for $52.4bn -

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Roy Moore says Alabama election ‘tainted’ by outside groups -

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Eric Holder warns GOP: ‘Any attempt to remove Bob Mueller will not be tolerated’ -

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Former British prime minister: Trump attacks on press are ‘dangerous’ -

Thursday, December 14, 2017

China says war must not be allowed on Korean peninsula -

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Megyn Kelly left Fox News in part due to O’Reilly: report -

Saturday, April 15, 2017

North Korea warns against U.S. ‘hysteria’ as it marks founder’s birth -

Friday, April 14, 2017

Comment la France a subventionné les porte-avions britanniques

Marine nationale, Patrick Fromentin

QuestCinq.com Selon la Cour des comptes, le projet de porte-avions franco-britanniques, lancé en 2005 et abandonné en 2008, s’est soldé par une perte sèche de 200 millions d’euros pour les caisses de l’État. Lancé en 2005, suspendu en 2008 et absent du livre blanc de la défense nationale de 2013, le projet de porte-avions franco-britanniques a coûté cher aux finances publiques françaises. La perte sèche s’élève à 200 millions d’euros, a calculé la Cour des comptes. Cette somme a été dépensée sur une courte période (2006-2007) et représente 73 % des dépenses engagées (287 millions d’euros) pour lancer un hypothétique second porte-avions à propulsion…

Read More

Google to make ‘significant’ changes to avoid EU fine

Getty Images

QuestCinq.com/News Google has promised to make “significant” changes to how rivals appear in search results in an attempt to avoid a multi-billion euro fine. The latest changes should be sufficient to end a three-year investigation into the search company, the EU’s competition commissioner said. Google had been accused of giving favourable treatment to its own products in search results. The company said it looked forward to resolving the matter. In a news conference, European Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said he would not seek feedback on the deal from Google’s rivals before it was formalised. “I consider at this point that…

Read More

Google agrees to sell Motorola to Lenovo

Google, Motorola

Google is keeping most of Motorola’s huge patent portfolio, the original reason the Internet search giant agreed to spend $12.5 billion buying the company in 2011 SAN FRANCISCO – Google said Wednesday it agreed to sell its Motorola business for almost $3 billion to China’s Lenovo Group, a major strategy shift that gets the Internet search giant out of the business of manufacturing smartphones. Lenovo is paying about $2.91 billion for Motorola, consisting of $660 million in cash, $750 million worth of Lenovo stock and $1.5 billion in the form of a three-year promissory note. Lenovo gets the Motorola brand…

Read More

Obama to launch government-backed retirement savings program

U.S. President Barack Obama delivers his State of the Union speech on Capitol Hill in Washington

QuestCinq.com/news U.S. President Barack Obama delivers his State of the Union speech on Capitol Hill in Washington, January 28, 2014. CREDIT: REUTERS/LARRY DOWNING – The Obama administration is scheduled on Wednesday to launch a retirement savings vehicle called “myRA,” aimed at enrolling more Americans in a government-backed investment option. In details provided by the White House on Wednesday, the retirement savings proposal would be similar to a Roth Individual Retirement Account, but with holdings backed by the U.S. government like savings bonds. “MyRA guarantees a decent return with no risk of losing what you put in,” President Barack Obama said in introducing the…

Read More

No bank too big to indict, U.S. attorney general says

U.S. Attorney General Eric H. Holder speaks during the Community Memorial Service at 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama

U.S. Attorney General Eric H. Holder speaks during the Community Memorial Service at 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama September 15, 2013 file photo. CREDIT: REUTERS/MARVIN GENTRY – No American financial institution is too large to indict and no bank executive immune from criminal prosecution, Attorney General Eric Holder said in a television interview. In an interview with MSNBC scheduled to be broadcast on Friday, Holder cited the case against JPMorgan Chase & Co, which in November agreed to a civil settlement under which it would pay $13 billion to end a series of government investigations into itsmarketing and sale of…

Read More

Russia gives breakdown of $15 billion Ukraine bailout

QuestCinq.com/News – Russia will tap into a rainy-day fund for most of the $15 billion bailout it promised Ukraine after Kiev scrapped plans for European Union deals that would have pulled it further from Moscow’s orbit, Finance Minister Anton Siluanov said. President Vladimir Putin agreed the aid package with Ukraine in December, throwing the ex-Soviet state a lifeline in what was widely seen as a reward for a U-turn that prompted protests which persist in Kiev and have been marked by violence. Russia will turn to its National Welfare Fund for $10 billion, Siluanov told Ekho Moskvy radio on Thursday. The other $5…

Read More

Arrested Vatican prelate in new money laundering charge

AP

The Vatican bank is one of the world’s most secretive financial institutions – A former Vatican prelate on trial for an alleged plot to smuggle 20 million euros into Italywas further charged on Tuesday with laundering millions through the Vatican bank, police said. Monsignor Nunzio Scarano and two other people served with arrest warrants were suspected of money laundering and making false statements, police said. The others were Father Luigi Noli, a friend of Scarano suspended from his Vatican job last year, and a notary. Fifty-two others were being investigated. While the charges had been expected, they were another blow…

Read More

Luxury in China loses luster as wealthy flee

File photo of a woman shopping in a Louis Vuitton store in downtown Shanghai

A woman shops in a Louis Vuitton store during Vogue’s 4th Fashion’s Night Out: Shopping Night with Celebrities in downtown Shanghai in this September 7, 2012 file photograph. CREDIT: REUTERS/CARLOS BARRIA/FILES   – Wealthy Chinese are likely to buy fewer luxury goods again this year after the steepest cut-back on spending in at least five years, changing the game for high-end retailers like Louis Vuitton which have staked their growth on China. Overall spending by wealthy Chinese fell by 15 percent in 2013, the third consecutive year of decline, according to a survey by the Hurun Report. Spending on gifts in…

Read More

Penney to close 33 stores, cut 2,000 jobs to stem losses

A JC Penny department store is shown in California

QuestCinq.com A JC Penney department store is shown in Escondido, California February 21, 2012. JC Penny will report earnings this week. CREDIT: REUTERS/MIKE BLAKE – J.C. Penney Co Inc (JCP.N) said on Wednesday it would close 33 stores and cut 2,000 jobs as part of its efforts to return to profitability. Chief Executive Myron Ullman said in a statement the action “addresses a strategic priority to improve the profitability of our stores.” Penney is the second major U.S. retailer in as many weeks to announce layoffs. Last week, Macy’s Inc (M.N) said it was eliminating 2,500 jobs. Those cuts will…

Read More

Yahoo! Status Checker by Techya